Thursday, April 22, 2010

Stage 1-Portrait of Paul


Oil on Board
8 x 10

I have begun a portrait of my son while visiting here in San Francisco. This is the initial drawing and lay in on a pre-toned board. The lay in is of four values using flesh ochre, raw umber and flake white. This is a new challenge for me as my portrait work till now has been very limited. Over the next year my plan is to use my family as models, willingly or not.

As a follow up to my last post, I attended the open figure drawing session at the studio of Sadie Jernigan Valeri and had a wonderful experience. All the attendees were very talented and very sharing which made for terrific evening. I am looking forward to going back next week, it had been a long time since I had done figure drawing and I felt a bit out of my element, but it was such a great experience that I look forward to doing it again. It was such a pleasure to meet Sadie, she is so talented and sharing and we learned that night that she had won First Place in the Still Life category of the ARC Salon Competition, for her painting, "Bottle Collection." What a terrific and well deserved accomplishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment